Skip to main content

"But...why?"

"But...why?"
It's a question I must hear at least 200 times a day from my three year old daughter.  She's not happy with my response until I've dug up the root of the answer and waved it in her face.
Whilst it might be tiresome, it's also a question which any writer has to constantly ask of themselves: "But why?"
I spent a lot of time asking that question before I started my novel.  Years, in fact.  I had a lot of answers floating around in my head.  All of them there.  None of them connected.  Then I started writing, so at least I could start to join the dots together.  For the first 40,000 words or so it worked okay (the opening chapters are focused on two main characters whose backgrounds and motivations are entrenched in my mind).  Then, as a raft of new characters entered the fray, I found myself wading through treacle.  Why are they anti-establishment again?  Why would they risk their life for that?  Why would they know each other?
Luckily, a helpful talk at my local writers group on character development (thanks Mandi) set me back on the right path.  Over the last month I've halted progress on my novel and gone back to asking "but why?"
I have focused my attention on writing a character synopsis for each important character so that all my disparate ideas are finally together for appropriate scrutiny.  It's been an essential task and one I should really have completed a long time.
And I'm not finished yet!
In the novel the political background is reaching boiling point and I need to know who will support who and why, and this means also having an idea of the family history and previous feuds and tensions (which have no bearing on this novel, but may well be relevant in the future).
So once my daughter has finished asking me, "but, why?", I open up my notebook and start asking myself the same question.  "It just is!" is not an answer my daughter will accept, and so I'm fairly certain it's not an answer my readers (yes - plural - I'm optimistic) will! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The rise of man; the fall of gods

Current wisdom suggests that the first complex organism evolved many moons ago (600 million years or so, give or take) by two single cells bumping heads, and joining together. Imagine that; over two billion years of single cells – gizillions of them - going about their daily business, and then, for no apparent reason, two of them get stuck together.  It must have sent shockwaves through the cell community.  Never before – anywhere in the universe as far as we know – had such an event occurred.  What a brazen leap! And then the damned thing had the cheek to started reproducing.  Suddenly we have plants, and then fish, amphibians, mammals, lizards and birds.  A short six million years ago our first human ancestor appears.  And the rest, as they say, is history. Sounds pretty fanciful, doesn’t it? Evolution.  If it weren’t supported by years of research and study, you wouldn’t believe it.  But there it is, the details may be tweaked and clarifi...

We need to talk about Zeus: Part 2 – Leto and the birth of Artemis and Apollo

With his first wife, Metis, under permanent house arrest (her house being Zeus’ body), Zeus was single again.  But not for long.  A bit like Henry VIII, Zeus liked to throw himself back into the ring as quickly as he could.  This time his eyes fell on Themis – a primordial Titaness and Zeus’ auntie. Themis was an unusual match for Zeus.  She presided over the ancient oracles (including the one that prophesised that Zeus’ mystery son with Metis would one day overthrow him).  She was wise and knew all about divine law, justice and morality.  Zeus was…well…Zeus, but they say opposites attract, don’t they?  She probably saw Zeus as a “fixer-upper”. What can we say about Zeus and Themis?  Not a lot really.  They seemed to get on for a while, and the marriage was fruitful in that she bore him a few children who had important roles to play, but other than that no major events occurred. So who were the children?  Three (Thallo, Auxo and Ca...

We need to talk about Zeus: Part 3 - Hera

Zeus and Hera: the Ross and Rachel of the Pantheon.  From the moment she emerged out of their father’s stomach, covered in blood and slime, Zeus had lusted after his older sister.  But Hera wasn’t an easy catch; she had morals (of a fashion), and so Zeus had been ‘forced’ to consider other, easier, options.  Time and time again Zeus pursued his sister.  Time and time again, she refused him.  But he wasn’t to be deterred.  By hook or by crook, he would have his way. After testing the whole marriage thing out with a few others (check out 'We need to talk about Zeus' Parts 1 and 2), Zeus decided that he was ready.  He was a man.  A powerful man with powerful friends.  A man who knew how to take care of business.  A man who could destroy worlds as easily as he could create them.  A man who had the world at his feet - literally.  A man who was going places.  What woman in her right mind could deny such a man? With the sam...